THE SKIN SCAN EQUIPMENT
MOLE MACHINE, OVERVIEW SCANNER, HANDHELD SCANNER
WHAT IS A MOLE SCAN?
A skin check requires the use of dermatoscopy. The Dermatoscope uses a special light & lens to view the skin at high magnification.
Many dermatologists and skin cancer doctors use ‘hand-held’ dermoscopy. This is the device that looks like a magnifying glass with a light.
A typical mole scanner at a skin cancer clinic is a machine that has these features:
- Viewing on a computer or LCD screen in real time.
- Magnification to at least 50 times through special lenses.
- Links to dedicated software.
- Mapping of the dermoscopy image to the macro or overview image.
- Side-by-side comparison of the images at a follow-up.
Mole scanners with these features typically cost over $20,000.
A Skin check at South East Skin Clinic utilises a mole machine, an overview scanner and a handheld dermatoscope.